To put it simply, Bette Midler is one of the most fearless icons of all time. I’ve been a fan of the Divine Miss M for decades and, if I’m honest, I’ve been harboring a not-so-secret crush on her since I knew what a crush even was. (Luckily for me, I got the chance to confess my love to Ms. Midler at a book signing a few years ago.)
I’ve followed her career through the years, from her prolific music career to her incredible filmography to her heartfelt philanthropy. Midler is an incredible activist and ally, speaking out on such issues as environmental awareness, arts and education, feminism, and human rights.
In addition to all of the amazing work Bette Midler has done in her 72 years, she, like Cher, has also used her twitter account — @BetteMidler — as a platform for political awareness, online activism, and comedy gold. Despite recently taking some heat about a questionable joke made about Rand Paul, Midler’s twitter account has been a breath of fresh air and a source of humor and levity in these troubling political times.
It would have taken days to go through Midler’s account to select an assortment of her greatest twitter hits, but instead chose to focus on 2018. She has been on fire this year, and below are ten of her greatest feminist tweets.
- Calling it like it is.
- Remember the halftime show of the 2004 SuperBowl, when Justin Timberlake exposed Janet Jackson’s breast. #JusticeForJanet calls bullshit on the fact that Jackson is still being condemned for the wardrobe malfunction, while JT was invited to perform again at the 2018 Superbowl.
- As philanthropist who has devoted time and money and heart toward arts in the school system, Midler understands the importance of art and music for youth.
- Bette Midler, let me love you.
- Her facial expression is EVERYTHING.
- I mean, she’s not wrong.
- Shots fired, Harvey Weinstein.
- The opioid epidemic is not lost on the Divine Miss M.
- In response to criticism about a joke she made about Rand Paul, Midler had this to say.
I can’t wait to find out else Bette Midler tweets this year!