Latest posts by BlackBirdEvolution (see all)
- Should We Tolerate Being Underpaid and Underappreciated? - March 22, 2017
- The Trumped Up Global Gag Rule - February 3, 2017
- A Guide to Holiday Shopping for Progressives - December 8, 2016
If you haven’t heard about the badass-ness of US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, you are missing out. Below is a primer on our favorite Justice.
1. RBG began law school at Harvard law. She was a student, a parent, and a support for her husband, also attending Harvard Law, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer at this time. She continued with class and also took notes for her husband’s classes so that he wouldn’t fall too far behind while recovering.
2. She became the first female member of the Harvard Law Review.
3. RBG transferred to Columbia Law School when her husband obtained employment in NYC. She graduated first in her class, as she had from Cornell where she received her undergraduate degree.
4. She became the first female tenured professor at Columbia.
5. In 1999, she won the American Bar Association’s Thurgood Marshall Award for her contributions to civil rights and gender equality.
6. She is the co-founder of the Women’s Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union.
7. RBG is only the second woman to be appointed to the US Supreme Court.
8. One of the many important cases during Ginsburg’s time on the Supreme Court is United States v. Virginia Military Institute’s male-only admissions policy in 1996. She stated: “For one thing, the VMI faculty was very much in favor of the admission of women. The reason should be obvious. If they could include women in their applicant pool, they would upgrade the quality of their students.”
9. Demonstrating her ability to see the many layers of individuals and to look past differences, she is close friends with ultra conservative Justice Scalia, despite disagreeing on nearly every case.
10. She’s nicknamed the Notorious RBG which is just phenomenal. This nickname grew out of a blog started by a law student at NYU because RBG is badass.
11. Girlfriend is 82.
12. RBG has an unbelievable work ethic. She has had colorectal cancer and pancreatic cancer, and after surgery was back on the bench in less than three weeks. She had a heart procedure in November on a Wednesday, and Monday morning was back at work. She returned to court the day after her husband died.
Can’t get enough? Click here to buy t-shirts and learn all the latest.
Keep an eye out for a new book coming out about her life, set to be released in October.
Sign a change.org petition asking for Ben and Jerry’s to create a flavor honoring RBG.
Eagerly await her upcoming biopic in which Natalie Portman is the Notorious RBG in her early years.
Featured image credit: RUVEN AFANADOR/CORBIS OUTLINE.